Prepping for 20 – The Right Way
April 7, 2011 § 4 Comments
As I am anticipating my last long run before the taper (which also happens to be my second attempt at 20 miles) I’m thinking back on what went wrong 2 weeks ago.
Fail to plan, plan to fail.
Two weeks ago when I attempted my first 20 mile run I absolutely failed to plan. Actually, I more or less just woke up on a Friday morning and decided “today’s the day I’m going to do my 20”. Completely disregarding the fact that I’d consumed wine the night before, hadn’t kept track of how much water I’d drank on Thursday etc. It was also extremely windy with tradewinds of up to 20mph! I also stuffed my camelback full of unnecessary junk causing it to be heavy and started chafing my back by the 5th mile. If I recall correctly, I’m pretty sure I had fiber loaded cereal for breakfast and I left leisurely left the house at around 10am leading me to run in the hottest part of the day. All in all – not my best day.
But I have certainly learned from my mistakes and tomorrow will be different!
Here’s a list of the Positive, pro-active things I’ve done/will do today to better prepare for that 20 miler:
- Staying hydrated! I’ve re-discovered Crystal Light & tasty (electrolyte filled water) is helping encourage me to consume more h20.
- Instead of running the day before a long run, I did an hour of Rodney Yee Strength Yoga (which included holding my very first shoulder stand for 60 seconds!)
- Not that the weather is in any of my control, but tomorrow it’s supposed to be rainy (I love running in the rain) which means it will be cooler, and the winds are not an issue.
- I plan on waking up at 5am, eating a pb & banana bagel, some iced coffee, and then heading out the door at 6am instead of 10am.
- I’ve got powdered Gatorade to take with me for an extra jolt of glucose.
- I also bought some of Annies Homegrown Gummies to take with me (since I still can’t stomach Gu).
- I didn’t imbibe any vino last night and even though pasta and wine go together like unicorns and glitter I’m going to abstain from my BFF wine tonight too. No worries, if I successfully complete this 20 I’ll be celebrating 😉
- And last but not least – gotta update that ipod playlist (your suggestions are welcome.)
So that’s what I’ve got. Better preparedness hopefully equals a much better distance run that wont leave me cursing the sport!
What are your distance run or difficult training day preparations?